Washington State ferry fares to rise 2.5% in October
Ferry prices in Washington state will increase 2.5% in October.
The Washington State Transportation Commission has approved the increase in passenger and foot vehicle fares that will occur this year and again in 2022, KING5 reported.
The increase is based on the transportation budget passed by the 2021 legislature which requires $ 377 million to be generated from fares over the next two years.
“We really felt that right now, when you look at the ridership, it’s still largely dominated by vehicle travel,” said Reema Griffith, executive director of the Washington State Transportation Commission. “And with the instability of the COVID recovery, they felt it was the first time in many years that they had decided to make 2.5% on passengers and vehicles.”
The state’s transportation budget was hit during the pandemic. Now the state must catch up, which will make many trips more expensive as people return to work.
Griffith says 75% of ferry operating funds come from fares, while the remaining 25% comes from gasoline tax money.